Sunday, June 27, 2010

My Birthday Extravaganza

Saturday was my birthday and we had a great time.

In the afternoon, we went to InHa University, where I spent a ton of time last year with my speaking group. We just walked around and had lunch. It was a nice day, though, so it was fun to be outside.

We walked over to Home Plus and my parents were once again impressed by the size of a Korean supermarket. To be fair, this Home Plus is massive and dwarves most other things in the area.

While we were there, we ran into Vicky's parents. It was really cool. We didn't plan it or anything. It just happend. So it was nice to introduce them briefly and say hello. I haven't seen them in a long time.

Around 7 p.m., we met Jeong Mi's family at Gyeongbokgung restaurant in old Songdo. It was really nice. They treated us to a lot of traditional Korean food. It was all very good. The waiters even brought out the cake that Jeong Mi made for me and sang a birthday song. I spent the entire time translating.



This whole trip, really, I spent as a translator. It's nice practice, but it can be demanding. It was all worth it though, as we had a really nice time getting to know each other. Our parents got along really well, so it was super fun.

After that, we rushed to Bamboo Academy for the open dance. When we arrived, Fafa rushed me out onto the dance floor and announced to everyone that it was my birthday. Because of that, I got to do the birthday dance line. I stood in the middle of the floor, and a line of girls danced with me. Jeong Mi started the line off. I was actually pretty nervous, but it was a lot of fun.



Then, they all brought out a cake for me, and sang me a birthday song.

They ended dance about 30 minutes early so they could go catch the Korea game. We headed back to Yeonsu-dong to watch it with some friends. We then took a small break and watched the sadness that was the US loss to Ghana.

Technically, that game was on June 27, here. So everything good that happened, happened on my birthday. It was a really great day.

Here's mom's blog.

Here are mom's pictures.

No comments: