Sunday, March 8, 2009

It Keeps Adding Up

I feel like my blog has become my own personal forum for my complaints, but I want to be honest with you guys about everything that is happening. I've never been one to sugarcoat situations, and I'm not sure if I'd even be able to here.

So the bad things first.

After one of the teachers -- and one of my friends -- was fired two weeks ago, we were all upset. The company's reasoning was that the economy was bad. Well, the rumor now is that they're hiring another teacher. And our enrollment hasn't dropped if my call test lists are any indication. My calling duties increased by 14 students. Hmmm. Interesting to say the least.

My boss told me that the one adult I teach on Thursday really likes me, and wants to have me for more full classes. Well, my boss, Stacy, said we couldn't do that because it's just one guy in the class. she suggested me teaching him for 30 minutes, three times a week, rather than 50 minutes only one time a week.

I said that sounds fine. But then she dropped the bomb. She said one of those 30 minute sessions would be Friday at 8 p.m. But since I have a class at 8 p.m., she wants to push that class to 9 p.m. So I would be teaching from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Friday. I begged her not to do it. I never came straight out and said I refused, but I'm hoping she changes her mind before I go in tomorrow.

The thing is, I will refuse. I'm not working until 10 p.m. any night. Especially not on a Friday night. I would sooner quit and go back to America. That sounds rash, but the job is tedious enough getting out at 9 p.m. There's no way I can stay until 10 p.m.

She also said I should pick two days a week to stay later to do call tests. No way. If she wants me to do call tests on top of teaching, she needs to schedule me accordingly, so I have time during the day to do it. Don't try to give me responsibilities above and beyond what I'm supposed to do.

Okay. here's some happier news. This weekend was pretty good.

On Friday night, Vicky and I just totally relaxed in Guworldong. We just went out, got dinner and a few drinks and relaxed. We weren't with a big group or doing anything crazy. It was nice.

On Saturday, I went to play football with the Westerners, and we went into Seoul in the evening to Hongdae. It was the new guy's birthday and we wanted to show him the place where many, many westerners go to party. Matt has been here for a week, so far.

I've only been to Hongdae to go to clubs twice in my six months here. The first time was on my second night in Korea. The second time was last night. My 6-month anniversary was on March 5, so I put about as much time as possible between the two trips.

I've been there during the day to eat lunch and hang out, but the club scene isn't necessarily my thing. We had a good time, though. Vicky and two of her friends even met up with us. the only bad thing is that the buses stop running at midnight, so we had to leave kind of early in the night.

That's it for now. Yet another Pittsburgh team is destroying people with me out of town. The Panthers just wrapped up that sweep of UConn. Let's hope they hold to the theory of Pittsburgh teams winning when I'm not around.

Also, Korea lost to Japan in the World Baseball Classic. Well, lost is being kind. They got destroyed. The score was 14-2 and ended in the seventh inning because of the 10-run mercy rule. Hahahahahahahah. Koreans everywhere were depressed. On the other hand, the US beat Canada. No surprise there.

Have a good week, everyone!

No comments: