Monday, April 6, 2009

SK Wyverns Opening Day 2009












On a happier note, a big group of us went to the SK Wyverns home opener on Saturday for the start of the Korean Baseball Organization's 2009 season. We have high hopes again because SK is the two-time defending champion.

Unfortunately, SK got crushed 8-2 against the Hanwha Eagles. But it was a beautiful day, and the beer was flowing.

Interesting note that I may have mentioned last season: You can bring any beer or food into the park that you want. They don't check you. That being said, beer inside is only W2,500 per can. That's less than $2 American. It's really incredible. They also have chicken sandwiches and hot dogs (which are delicious) as well as noodles and squid. It's Korea after all.

The game was packed since it was opening day, but we still got our usual W6,000 outfield seats. That's about $4.50 American. You cannot beat that with a Singapore cane.

I'm going to try to go to as many games as I can. It makes for a great afternoon with your friends. I'm also going to put more effort into going to soccer games. I'm surprised, but I've been a bit more excited for baseball since I've been here. Mostly because I heard Incheon's soccer team isn't so hot. But I already have at least two soccer games planned with Chris, when our respective cities play.

The rest of my weekend was spent with co-workers Friday night, and with Chris, Chelsea and Gina on Saturday night. Sunday was my usual rest day, even with the rocket-launch.

Back to baseball. The Wyverns got the win Sunday against Hanwha. So as of now, they're 1-1. Still 131 games to go.

One last thing about the game. The hot dogs were awesome and delivered by the hot dog man, wearing a sweet hot dog hat and team jersey. The funny thing is, his name was written in Konglish on the back.

For those of you who don't know, Konglish is English words written with the Korean alphabet. So it's not really Korean. It's the same pronunciation as the English, written as closely as possible with the Korean alphabet.

The Konglish on the hot dog man's jersey? "Hot Dog Man." It was beautiful.

Check out the pictures here!

No comments: