Saturday, January 28, 2012

Seollal 2012 and Family

Seollal, the Lunar New Year, offers a lot of time for activities with the family. Being one of the two big holidays here in Korea, you're expected to see the family and eat some traditional Korean food. This year, I helped to prepare some of that food.

A few weeks ago, I went to Jeong Mi's parents' place to help make mandu (dumplings). It was a lot of fun. I've eaten them a thousand times in Korea, but never before made them. So it was cool to do that with her family.






January 23rd was the day of the Lunar New Year. This year is the year of the dragon, which means absolutely nothing to me, haha.

I guess it does mean I get to hang with Jeong Mi's family, so that's nice. Just like last year, we went to her parents' place, bowed to show them respect and received our Seollal money!!! Yay!

Money aside, it is really fun to participate in the tradition. And I do want to show her parents respect, just as I would show my own.




We also did the usual eating and hanging out-type stuff. It's a pretty low-key holiday, but one that Koreans view as important, nonetheless.

Next up on the family calendar is Jeong Mi's brother's wedding. He'll be getting married February 12, and I'll be singing at the wedding!!! Click here to hear the song I'll sing. It's not too difficult. I just have to memorize all the words. Her parents even had me fitted for another suit for the wedding. I protested, but that only upset Jeong Mi's mom. So I had to give in and accept. Once again, very generous of them.

Of course, I miss my own family and friends back in America very much. We're planning a trip home for a couple weeks VERY soon. I'll keep everyone posted. And in the tradition of Seollal, I'm sending a virtual bow your way!!!

Check out all my pics here:

Making Mandu

Seollal 2012

No comments: