Monday, December 15, 2008

Don't Take American Food For Granted

Vicky went skiing with her friends Friday night, so I took a trip to Rio's with Tim and Colin, where we ran into the whole crew, including Robin, a Canadian who is probably a lifer here. Rio's was pretty good, but I left around 3 a.m. because the week was pretty exhausting.

Saturday was a pretty laid-back day and night. I cleaned the house a bit, then got some rest. Vicky and I went to a place in Inha at night to drink some malkoli, the rice wine. It's only W4,000 for an entire pitcher, and two of those will get you pretty saucy.

On Sunday, Vicky and I went into Seoul to meet one of her friends, Won Kyung, whom she met at university. We went to Bennigan's and had a fantastic meal. I have never been to a Bennigan's in the U.S., but I wish I had now. We got a chicken salad, mushroom bacon carbonerra and some beef and chicken fajitas. It was well worth the trip in the the city, and I realize now just how good American food is compared to anywhere else in the world. Okay, at least in Korea.

I also met with Christie, a friend of the family who just got to Seoul a month or so ago. It was the first time we met in person. She looked good, and it seems like things are going well for her so far. It was great to see you, Christie!!

Last night, I went to see a Korean movie with Vicky and her sister, The English title is "Speeding Scandal", but there certainly weren't any subtitles. The story wasn't too difficult to follow, but humor must be the hardest thing to translate. I understood the dramas a lot better than this one, which was supposed to be a comedy.

This week will be pretty routine, but the weekend will provide a little difference. I am going to judge a speech contest here in Incheon. Seven of out students will be involved. It will probably be pretty interesting, and I apparently get paid!

No comments: