Thursday, December 11, 2008

Just the Grind

I realize it's been almost two weeks since I've last posted, but there hasn't been much going on, unfortunately. That should all change within a couple of weeks, but for now, it just remains the same old stuff.

Last Friday, Vicky and I met You Kyung in Guworldong for dinner and drinks at a hof. Two of Vicky's other girlfriends showed up for about 30 minutes at the first place, so I was surrounded by four hot Korean chicks speaking no English. Not a bad half hour.

After that, Vicky, You Kyung and I went to Rio's, the usual spot, just to have some drinks and hang out. It was the usual type of night.

On Saturday, we were really exhausted from the long week and Friday night, so Vicky and I just got dinner in InHa and went for some coffee and hot chocolate. It was nice to spend a Saturday night without beer or Soju. I woke up Sunday feeling totally refreshed.

That's a good thing, because we went to the department stores in Guworldong on Sunday so I could buy some long-sleeve t-shirts for the cold. It was nearly impossible to find anything I liked with their ridiculous fashion here. Fortunately, I found three shirts that I bought for only W7,5000 each. That's a pretty good deal.

Of course, I took Chris' advice and tried them on first. I found out that my best size over here is a 95. But one of the shirts I bought was also a 100. Either way, it was the first time I bought clothes from a real store here. I also bought a shirt from the outdoor shopping place in Dongdaemun.

As far as work goes, it's actually gotten better. For whatever reason, I'm enjoying most of my classes more. even the worst classes were pretty decent this week. Plus, it's always nice to hear that the students like you, even if it is only because I'm the teacher who plays games with them. That's okay with me for sure.

Tonight, I'll get to hang out with my Korean buddy Jake, whom I met through Chris, because Vicky is going on a ski trip with some friends. But I'll see her for sure on Sunday when I go with her to Seoul to meet some of her friends.

Chris is coming back for sure. It should be around January or February. He's looking to get into a public school this time, and they have certain hiring dates. It will be great to welcome him back. Mike, the guy who bought our legendary scooter, got back here last weekend. The cycle just continues, I suppose.

We got a little snow on the ground here for the first time last Saturday and Sunday. I took some pics, but it really wasn't that impressive. You east-coasters back home have seen better snow in the summer!

Vicky and I have been studying almost every day for the past two weeks. We go to InHa and find one of the study areas, where she can work on her English and I on my Korean. It's good to do it together, because we can help each other if necessary.

I'm still writing Korean in my journal as well. Gemma is impressed with the complexity of my sentences. I had zero grammar problems in my last entry. But two of my sentences were awkward and had to be rewritten. I just chose words that aren't commonly used for the expressions I wrote. Nothing here is directly translated between the languages, but more or less interpreted to the closest match.

My college students had to cancel class today because of exams and presentations, so my day got a little shorter. Nothing wrong with that! Have a good weekend, everyone!

No comments: