Monday, February 16, 2009

Gifts



Valentine's Day weekend turned out to be a pretty average weekend. While they market VDay a lot like they do in the states, they don't follow it as much.

Of course, there are a lot of gifts and whatnot being purchased, but that's just because Koreans will buy anything if someone tells them it's cool or that everybody else is doing it. The day is only a little bit more special than any other day.

Maybe I'm a dork, but I always really enjoyed Valentine's Day at home and saw it as a good chance to do something special with my girlfriend.

On Friday, I went to Buchon with Dan, Colin and Tim to see Mike, who just recently got back to start his second stint in South Korea. It was my first trip to Buchon and Mike has a pretty sweet place. He has a small bedroom off of a hallway that leads to his living room. He also has an actual shower stall, rather than just a shower that IS the bathroom.

I didn't really experience anything in Buchon, because we just stayed in Mike's place. It's a pretty happening scene, though. I'm sure I'll party there at some point outside. But I'm sure the bars there are just like anywhere else in clone Korea.

I spent Saturday in Guworldong with Vicky. We for some seafood dokkboki, which is as unappetizing as it sounds, and then got some donuts and headed to a singing room. After that, we got a few drinks before heading home. It was a pretty good night, but not much different than a regular night out.

She got me a really cool present, though. I guess this is really common in Korea for girls to do, as well.

You can buy these big boxes that have "love" sayings on them, and you fill them with chocolate candy and pictures and stuff like that. So she got me one of those with three pictures of us. She made about 36 different chocolates with which to fill it. It is one of the coolest gifts I've ever gotten, because I know she put a lot of time and effort into it.

My gift for her was to buy Pittsburgh Pirates hats for us, but they didn't have her size, so it will be delayed until we find them.

On Sunday, I played football with the other Americans and Canadians. Let's just say I needed to get some aggression out. And I don't even like football.

Anyway, we're back onto the normal school schedule, and I'm not nearly as tired as I was before. But the late school ending time is just really annoying.

Vicky and I are going to Seoul this weekend with her cousin and cousin's boyfriend to see a concert and hang out. Check back later for pics and an update. For now, enjoy the pictures of my 100 Days and Valentine's Day gifts.

100 Days and VDay pics

2 comments:

Pauline said...

Totally cool "box" - glad you put up pictures - when you said "box" I imagined an actual 4 sided regular box with pictures pasted on the sides - would never have envisioned a "shadow box" type of arrangement - and the candies are really special - very nice!!
BTW - Pirates are picked LAST in the league this year (as usual) so maybe you should purchase a STEELER cap - pick a winner!!

pottygok said...

Yes, but do they celebrate Sweetest Day in Korea?

As far as sports teams go, you should get Cleveland Indians gear, as well as Browns gear. ;-) What hat size is she? I'm sure we can find something stateside to get to you!