Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Hambak Island Trip and Dinner

There are no students coming for morning classes this week because it's the start of summer vacation.

So on Monday, I went on a trip with Ridia, Sunny and the rest of the Hambak staff. We chartered a bus and took a trip to a small island next to the island on which the Incheon Airport sits.

It was about a 30 minute bus ride to the airport island, and then a 10 minute ferry ride over to Sindo, where we hung for an hour or so.



Sindo is a super-small island. Its claim to fame is an art sculpture garden of sorts. All the sculptures are weird and erotic, so the Korean teachers were a bit uncomfortable. I thought they were funny, though.

We pretty much just relaxed on the island, chatted and took pictures.



After that, we headed over to the set of one of Korea's many dramas. I had never heard of this show. The title is something along the lines of "The Sad Love Story." The Korean teachers all knew it.

The set was basically just a big house overlooking the inlet. If you could choose any place to live in Korea, this would have to be near the top of any list.

After that, we drove all the way to Bucheon and went to a restaurant called Vikings. It was a seafood buffet, but also served nice steaks. It was all you can eat, as well. I think it's a bit pricey, but I only had to pay 20,000 won for the entire trip, so I definitely got a good deal.



I got to know some of the newer teachers a little bit and caught up with the other ones. We haven't done a group dinner or anything like that in awhile. I also got to sit next to the principal at dinner, so I got to talk with him some more.

While I've had some rough goes in Korea, I'm truly happy to be a part of this elementary school. Between Ridia and the administrators and the other teachers (excluding possibly one), I really feel good here.

It was a great trip for sure.

The rest of the week is simply prep for summer camp. It starts next week. We also have afternoon classes on today, Thursday and Friday. On top of that, we have to get a health check-up tomorrow. Let's home I'm still disease-free!!!

We'll have one week of summer camp, and then a week-vacation. After that, it's two more weeks of camp, and then Jeong Mi and I go to America for my sister's wedding. It's going to be a busy couple of months, for sure, but I'll have a little time to rest, so it should be good.


Check out the pics from my island trip here!!!

No comments: