Sunday, January 25, 2009

Finally Resting




... And it feels great. Thanks to the Lunar New Year, known here as 설날, but pronounced Seollal, has given us Monday and Tuesday off. The Lunar New Year is a Chinese holiday, but celebrated around Asian countries. This year is the Year of the Ox, so congrats to all oxes out there.

Anyway, Vicky and I tried to book a trip somewhere, but we started looking only a week before, which gave us ZERO options. The thing is, there are practically no breaks here for workers, so when one happens, EVERYONE travels.

I'm okay with not traveling now, especially after the brutal month. It's just been soooo much work. Even getting eight hours of sleep almost every night gave me no rest. And that is at the expense of having any fun after work.

I did get paid extra for my class. I made W300,000. I was happy until I found out it was at least W100,000 less than the Korean teachers. Some of them had ideas that since I only have 25 classes normally instead of my contracted 30, that I only got paid for half of my ten extra hours each week. I think they're right, and it bugs me.

Here is an update on the 100 Days situation. I did buy a ring for her. It comes in Thursday so I'll be giving it a little bit late, but I showed her a picture and she loved it.

I struggled with the decision because of the cultural differences and the implications of such a gift in America compared to here. In the end, I decided to stick with my philosophy that while I'm here, I have to act as much like a Korean citizen as possible. I think of it as a way of growing and expanding my worldliness. I hope that's working.

Anyway, the ring wasn't too expensive, especially compared to what a normal Korean guy would buy. Mi San, the bartender at Rio's and a friend of ours, helped me shop for it so I could surprise Vicky. At the top of this post is Mi San holding the ring. When Vicky puts it on, I'll add some more pics.

So I have today and tomorrow off and will continue my rest. Maybe a movie and the singing room tonight. It feels good to have no responsibilities for a few days. Then it's three days of work and back to the weekend.

So all is well here. I hope things back home are going well, also.

No comments: