Saturday, January 3, 2009

New Year's!





Vicky invited me along with her family to celebrate New Year's. Her dad rented a house about 2 hours outside of Incheon and we went there to celebrate.

Our party included Vicky's parents, sister and friend, You Kyung, as well as the lone American tagging along.

We grilled some steak and pork and drank beer and Soju while we waited for it to turn midnight. In Korea, at midnight, they ring a big bell in Seoul. A little different from a giant, glowing ball dropping, huh?

The next day, Vicky's dad bought eel for us. They chop it's head off and throw it on the grill, still squirming. I got some great video of it. It tasted similar to most fish. I liked it a lot.

The thing is, eel is a special meal in Korea. It's very expensive. It was W60,000 per kilogram, and Vickly's dad bought three kilograms of it. Wow. It was really generous of him.

All in all, it was a really unique New Year's experience. I even got to call mom and dad at midnight here, 14 hours ahead of their New Year celebration.

As promised, here are pictures from our Christmas and New Year's trips. Enjoy!

Christmas 2008

New Year's 2008/09

New Year's Eel video

2 comments:

Kelly and Edie said...

I think I will stay with pork and saurakraut here as our New Year's Dinner! The squirming eel would be too much for me to even consider trying! Glad you had people with whom to ring the New Year in.

Dr Marty said...

I agree with your mom...I too will stick with pork chops but I admire your willingness to be adventurous with your culinary delights! what a memorable way to bring in 2009..we missed you but we love all your posts!