Sunday, January 11, 2009

Long Schedule and Cold Weather

These extra winter classes are really starting to wear on me. We've half way through the winter intensive program and I was ready for it to be over a week ago.

I think I mentioned this earlier, but here it is again. Now that that the students are on winter vacation from public school, we've moved our hours from 2 to 9 p.m. up to noon to 7 p.m. That in itself is fine. It means we're done by 7 p.m., so it feels more like a normal job, and I actually have a regular day now.

The problem is that I'm also teaching the two extra intensive native speaker classes in the morning. I have to be at the school by 9:30 a.m. There isn't much preparation time needed for the two extra classes, but sometimes I don't get a break until 2 p.m. That means I have to be there even earlier to make sure I'm prepared for those classes.

Add on the college students I work with once a week, and I'm teaching about 38 hours of classes each week for the month.

Last week was an extra kick in the pants because I had a certain class on Monday, and due to a changed schedule in Tuesday, I had to do it AGAIN on Thursday. And because some middle school students missed their morning class last week, I had to do one of their make-up classes on Thursday as well.

But just because they missed their class the week before didn't give me a break. I just got put in front of a different classroom to teach another class in its place.

Sorry if this blog post is a downer. There certainly is a lot of complaining. All these extra classes , on top of the really cold weather as of late, has just drained my battery. On top of that, the new schedule took away some of my favorite classes.

But it's a fresh week as of today, so I'll go in and do what I can. At least I'll be home by a little after 7 p.m.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I still think you're the best.