Thursday, October 22, 2009

Arrived Successfully!!!

All is right in the world again, as I am back in Korea. This year, I'm living in Yeonsu-dong and teaching at Hambak Elementary School.

I left Pittsburgh International Airport at 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday (Thanks mom and dad for getting up so early and driving me there!) I made a quick stop in San Francisco, and then it was right on to Incheon.

I flew Singapore Air this time for my international flight, and it was AWESOME! The food was good, the seats were comfy and the flight attendants were gorgeous. I actually had an entire 3-person row to myself for about 8 of my 12 and a half hours.

Unfortunately, some guy requested to change his seat because he "needed to sleep." They put him in my row. He slept, but he also tried talking my ear off. I didn't want to be rude, but I also didn't want to chat. I was tired and just needed to relax and watch some movies. I did my best to be polite and talk as little as possible.

I arrived at Seoul/Incheon International Airport at about 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday. No one was there to meet me, so I took a cab across the newly-finished Incheon Bridge into Yeonsu-dong. My new home is just a 10-minute bus ride from my old home. I was in this neighborhood often last time because I have many friends here.

This time around has been a breeze so far because I know the area, speak the language and have a lot of friends here. It's so nice.

I stayed at Dan's house on Wednesday night, and walked over to my school in the morning. It's about 15 minutes walking distance from his pad.

They were having a special evaluation day by the school board, so the English classes were not in session. We basically just hung out all day. I also did the meet and greet with the other teachers and administrators.

The school is beautiful. They just finished repainting and remodeling some of it, including an incredible turf soccer field. The teachers and administrators were all very welcoming, and the two other native speakers were very nice as well. Both of them have been here for about 2 months and it's their first time in Korea.

Then I found out where I live. It is the same exact building as Dan and Colin. What are the odds? It's pretty incredible that I visited this building all the time last year and now I live here. Weird, but awesome.

On Thursday night, I went to Vicky's house and watched the SK Wyverns game with her dad. Her mom joined us a bit later. Vicky had to work until 9 p.m. Unfortunately, SK lost and are down 3-2 in the Korean Series.

After she arrived, we went and met some friends. Jess is leaving Incheon in a few days, and Eli is leaving next week. Also, it was Jess' birthday. We celebrated with a bunch of people at Go Bar. It was a good time.

I don't have to work today. They want me to rest, which is very kind of them. I have to get some essentials for my house, anyway. I also have to get some pics printed out for my alien card and medical checkup, which will take place on Monday.

Overall, everything is going really well. I like my house, got to meet my friends again and I'm looking forward to starting work on Monday. I think it's going to be a good year. Check back a little later for pics from the trip and pics of my new apartment!

No comments: