Wednesday, October 28, 2009

H1N1 Death Toll Hits 33

As of Oct. 28, the death toll in South Korea has reached 33 people, according to a Ministry for Health release.

From the story:

'With the death case, the number of healthy people who have died from the new flu rose to five, as they had not been suffering from any other diseases.

The other 28 fatalities were either in their old age or suffered from chronic diseases, and regarded to be in "high-risk" groups.'

Like I said in an earlier post, the hospital I went to for my E-2 checkup was absolutely swamped. My co-teacher and I went at 9 a.m. and didn't get back to the school until noon. How many of those people were actually sick? I have no idea.

Most of them looked like they were just there for precautionary measures. That might be a decent idea considering five "healthy" Korean people are taking dirt naps right now.

Check out the full story here.

By comparison, America's death toll as of Oct. 27 is nearly 3,000 with 29,000 hospitalizations.

So is Korea simply weathering the storm better? It's hard to say. The virus reached America first and is just now becoming a major concern over here. Schools, businesses and the government are taking preventative measures, but is it too late?

My school isn't holding classes all week due to approximately 20 infections. Many of my friends have weeks without class as well. It's still early in the game. Hopefully Korea can fight this thing.


No comments: