Saturday, October 17, 2009

Lately in Korea ...

I've spent the last week in New York City visiting my brother, visiting friends and family in my hometown the week before that and seeing my sister in Virginia the week before that.

I've been rather busy during my time at home. It's coming to an end in the next couple days, however. I received my visa on Thursday and let my recruiter know. That means I'll be getting on a plane sometime in the next couple of days to head to my new school in Incheon.

During my busy time at home, the world of South Korea has still been spinning, so quite a few interesting things have been happening. A few things have caught my eye, for sure. So I made note of them.

Here they are:

In September, Korean families on the North and South were reunited as part of a program that has been running since 2000. Here is a story on BBC of one specific family. It's really incredible to see their responses.

Check it here.

As the South Korean government brags about their fast recovery from the global recession, a reporter from the Korea Times made note of 10 things that still haunt the country.

Check them out here.

The Korean government is setting up 150 Korean language schools around the world in an effort to globalize Hangeul. Good luck! Haha.

Read about it here.

Here's an account by a BBC reporter of his time spent on North Korea. Getting to see his reaction is fascinating.

Learn about North Korea here.


Those are just a few of the news stories I've been following. I'm going to make some more in-depth observations and cover events a little closer when I return to the country. As of now, my days are winding down in America.

It's been great to see my family and friends and travel around the east coast, but I'm excited to get to my new school and see all my friends -- Korean and Western -- back over in South Korea.

No comments: