Monday, November 2, 2009

More "Korea" Happening

By that title I mean that no matter how good they present things at first, the school system all seems to be the same (at least in the English department).

Today, Geoff and I got back into teaching. We had our afternoon classes only, as per the schedule. We each took two on our own and worked the third one together. We have a really good team working down there, and that's a very good thing, because ...

We got news today that Grace, our boss/co-teacher was planning to quit this Friday. Then, we got word from Julie that Grace had, in fact, quit today and left for home right after lunch.

Adding to the confusion is the constant miscommunication going on between the bosses and native speakers.
The way I feel at work in Korea.

I was introduced this morning over the schools broadcast program. It's a morning program they run on TV in the classrooms that goes through the national anthem and a pledge and various announcements/awards.

I was introduced along with another male teacher. I didn't know who he was, but he was dressed like a gym teacher.

I wrote a little essay about my family and home background. The principal read it, then they asked me to speak. So I broke out a bit of introductory Korean to say hello to everyone watching.

At lunch, I asked Grace who the male teacher with me was and what position he'd be taking. She totally misunderstood and kept saying "she" and "her." Grace also said this "she" might be the new English teacher if the tryout is successful.

Now, it's very common for Koreans to mix up pronouns. After all, they almost NEVER use them in every day speaking. So I assumed either she just didn't get my question or was making the pronoun mistake.

Well, in the afternoon, Julie asked to sit down with me (her cue to reprimand someone, which is apparently going to happen regularly no matter how perfect I am).

So we sat down and she starts asking me really ambiguous questions like, "Did you meet any teachers this week?" I'm naive, apparently. I told her yes. I did meet teachers when we were partying for Halloween. I had no idea what she was getting at.

Then she asked me if the science teacher introduced me to a new girl teacher. I said no, and that I've never even seen the guy outside of school. I've only talked to him inside school a couple times.

She then asked how I knew Grace was quitting. I told her that Grace told me at lunch today. I then explained my confusing conversation with Grace at lunch about the new male teacher.

Then it clicked to Julie that there was just a bunch of misunderstanding along the way. Well, she immediately had to call the science teacher and apologize for yelling at him. And I know she got yelled at as well by the vice-principal. Who knows who else got chewed out during this yelling chain?
This is the national assembly in Korea. Now imagine what a school is like.

Then, Geoff and I sat down with Julie and another teacher named Mira. Julie and Mira will be splitting Grace's paperwork, but they said neither have enough time to join us for class. So I say ... AWESOME.

I don't want a co-teacher and I'm more comfortable without. Of course, we're still not 100 percent sure of our schedule. No doubt we'll find out right before our classes tomorrow morning.

The bummer news is that Geoff and I are adding one extra hour of class a week to teach parents. That means extra preparation work, which is terribly annoying here once again because we don't know the level for which we're preparing. And no seems to be able to answer any of our questions.

That explains my title to this post a bit. Here's a tip for any incoming teachers. Brace yourself. No matter how pretty of a picture they paint, nearly nothing will be done professionally and you will be the ones who take the heat in most cases.

Remember, it's not your fault and that is just business custom here. Take the slack, let it roll off you, do your work to the utmost of your ability and professionalism and let them sort it all out.

I got really, really stressed last year when my contract wasn't followed properly and I was never given any information until it was almost too late at Jungchul English Academy in Okryun-dong. But this year, that's not happening. I'm focusing on my teaching and keeping all my opinions out of the politics of how they treat the native speakers.

I'm giving my full attention to the students, doing the crap work the administrators throw on me and not letting it get me down.

No comments: