Monday, November 9, 2009

New Co-teacher Hired

Today was interview day. Geoff and I were busy with morning and afternoon classes, but Katie got to join in on the interview process.

There was a small group of candidates, and they chose one right away. All I know is she's a female teacher who originally went to school to be a counselor. I'm excited to meet her tomorrow.

I'm curious about her style. From what I've heard, we should be acting as assistants to our co-teacher while she runs the class. While Grace was here, Geoff was doing everything and she was sort of translating. But Katie says that Grace actually quit a couple months ago and was just serving her time out. So her style was less than accurate for a public school co-teacher.

So there's a little excitement and a little nervousness over how things will change. I admit I'm looking forward to not having Julie micromanaging, but the grass always seems greener, doesn't it?

If she teaches like a co-teacher should, there may be less prep time involved for Geoff and I. But who knows what will happen?

Other than that, the day went well today. We were busy with the six classes and got word that our parent classes do indeed start tomorrow. I'm taking the first shift. Julie was pleased with my lesson plans, and she and Mira (who was helping Julie run the English Center without Grace) are both thrilled with my teaching style. Basically I'm a giant clown who gets the kids to pay attention, be enthusiastic and learn. Not too shabby.

On Wednesday is another dinner with Principal Kim. This time, all the other teachers are joining us. And it's off to InHa for my weekly language exchange there on Thursday.

So far, the year is going well. Let's keep that up!

No comments: