Sunday, October 5, 2008

Best Weekend Yet






That's right. After my bad Monday, the rest of the week really made me appreciate being here.

On Wednesday, all the teachers from the Onyun-dong school went out for dinner and drinks. It was a lot of fun to spend time with the whole group outside of school. They're all cool in school, but it's always great to see how people act out at the bar.

Of course, that meant I was exhausted on Thursday. Fortunately for me, again, some teachers were preparing for exams, so I didn't have that much to teach. I was supposed to be off for my last class of the day, but the students begged their teacher, Wendy, to let me teach them. So she asked me to play a game with them and we had a fun Quiddler time.

I had to recover quickly, because Thursday night was the opening of Rio's new bar in Shinsegae. Dan and I went to Rio's wedding last weekend, so the whole group was excited to check out the new place.

His bar was cool, but I ran into Vicky, one of the teachers, out there. So I ended up spending a lot of time with her group. Check out the pics below.

On Friday, Chris and I went to a movie with two Korean college girls to whom he gives private lessons. Their names are Cassie and Jess. We went to see some Korean flick set in the 1920s when Japan was occupying Korea.

It was about a dude who meets a chick who is secretly a Korean rebel against the Jappo government. The story is very twisted and the girls basically ruins his life. I won't give away the ending. Let's just say there was a boom.

After that, we all went out to drink and met up with Jake and his girlfriend. We went to a couple different hofs and ended up, of course, in a singing room. It was a pretty good night.

On Saturday, Chris, Chelsea, Jeanna and I went to Songdo Park for a picnic. Songdo Park is a small amusement park near our houses, and it cost something like $5 per person to get in. There is a pond, beach, rides and boating available.

The girls went shopping for food, a grill and drinks. We spent about 5 hours there, just lounging and enjoying ourselves. It was really relaxing and just what I needed to help me recharge. Chelsea and I even rolled up our pants and waded in the water. It was a lot of fun.

After that, we went to Wolmido, where there is another little amusement park. We got on the popcorn ride and the viking ship ride. Wolmido was also having a festival. Fall is apparently festival season in Korea. That meant more fireworks.

Being that this is Korea, our night didn't end there. We went to a singing room in Inha for another two hours.

The whole day was a blast, but weekends like this definitely slow me down. I skipped out on wiffleball today so I could hang in and rest. The Korean lifestyle certainly requires an off day for someone like me, especially since I don't get my naps anymore!

To answer some of Pauline's questions: No, I still do not have a bank account. I should get it very soon, because I'm supposed to get my first paycheck this week. I haven't gotten my alien card yet, but all the paperwork has been filed, so I expect that this week as well.

As far as the PA license plate. It just happened to be in some Korean bar in Buepyong, so I thought I should get a shot with it, since I'm from PA. Sometimes home just follows you.

Below are pics from Shinsegae, Songdo and Wolmido. I'm getting more of me in there now. Enjoy!

Songdo and Wolmido

Shinsegae

No comments: