Sunday, July 12, 2009

Struggles of North Korean Defectors

I've blogged numerous times about the poor treatment of foreigners from the west, but here's an interesting story about how the North Koreans find their life adjustment when they make it down South.

Apparently, as this BBC story says, they face a lot of obstacles here trying to become members of this society.

Kim Cheol-woong, a former music student who defected here from the North, is now a musician in the South. He was asked to perform at the 10th anniversary of Hanawon, one of several centers built for the purpose of providing North defectors with help while they adjust to life in the South.

Like I have complained about before, South Korea's fervent nationalism can be inspiring, but it can also be very harmful to anyone trying to live here, and to the image of South Korea. I half understand the majority's dislike of foreigners from the west and from other Asian countries.

But to many of the students I teach, the North and South are still the same people who are just forced apart by some maddening political system.

Yet, the North refugees still have trouble fitting in here. And you know why? It's because they're not SOUTH Koreans. How bad is it when people from the same bloodline are treated with that racism ... er ... I mean nationalism.

Kim Cheol-woong says:

"I thought South Korea would be the beginning of happiness," he said.

"But I have to tell you, it was the beginning of pain. Defectors here face poverty, and even worse, social discrimination."

He's right about that social discrimination big time. I face it every day. I feel bad for him, because his own people won't accept him. At least I'm actually different. I don't like the majority's racist attitude toward westerns. But it makes a heck of a lot more sense than discriminating against your own blood.

I have faith that the youth will take over someday in this emerging global society, and change the majority's attitude. But until then, it's going to be a bumpy ride for anyone here who isn't a South Korea.

Check the full story here.

No comments: