Sunday, April 4, 2010

Cultural Taboos - Learn Them

Jason over at Kimchi Icecream posted an extensive list of cultural taboos that you would be best to avoid during your stay over here. Keep in mind that he notes -- and I agree with this -- that not all of these are absolute in any way.

He says he hasn't followed every guideline, and I certainly haven't. For example, he lists one about always joining your fellow co-workers for meals and things like that, and not to say anything bad about the food. He's totally right.

But I have opted out of the school lunch and bring my own every day, so I don't even go to the cafeteria anymore. There is one reason for this, really -- I don't want to pay 2,500 won every day for food that I don't like. I even made that clear when they asked my reason for opting out.

Not, they told me from the beginning that it was okay to do this, but when I did, some people weren't so happy. The head of the English department sat me down to try to convince me to start getting lunch again because it looked bad. Well, that might be the case, but I'd rather look a little worse than pay for food I don't want to eat.

Anyway, I'm also adding Kimchi Icecream to my sidebar. Jason goes into a lot of topics in-depth, and it's all worth checking out. Thanks, Jason!

1 comment:

Jason said...

Hey,

Thanks for posting the link.

There seems to be a military mentality about eating in the cafeteria: you're not part of the unit if you don't share in the good things AND the bad things--specifically being the crap food that's not even worth the two dollars and change.

I love Korean food, but what they served yesterday for example was crap. I'd rather have eaten a 1.00 kimbap from a variety store. It would have tasted better, and been cheaper too.

Anyways, I'll add you to my blog roll later from my home computer.

Cheers,
J