Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Video Game Lockdown

Yahoo is reporting a story that the South Korean government is planning on a certain amount of time during the night/early morning when teenagers would be unable to play video games.

The "nighttime shutdown" is an idea from the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism that will allow the teenagers to choose one of three 6-hour blocks to lose access to games.



In many country's, this would just be annoying, but video games really are a way of life here. My friend who lives in my building thinks our Internet connection slowed way down when a PC room a few floors below us cut their price down to 500 won (less than 50 cents) per hour.

Every so often a story comes out in the news about a South Korea dying, or neglecting someone else to the point of death, due to vide game addiction.

Bein born in 1983, I spent my entire life in a world where video games existed. So I have no problem with them, though I can see how someone can get hooked. All I have to do is observe all my buddies playing Call of Duty all night to be convinced of that.

But during the cold months here, the kids don't have much else to do. They study for most of their day, and then go home to a family that is literally living on top of itself. Most Korean kids share there bedrooms with at least one other sibling. I can see how a PC room can provide them with a little time to immerse themselves in their own little virtual world.

But now that the weather is getting nice, they should be hanging outside. I know I will be.

2 comments:

Kelly and Edie said...

Interesting reading this Aaron. At water aerobics Tues. night, one of the participants reminded your dad and I that her grandson is at college and has a S. Korean roommate. Well this roommate stays up all night playing video/computer games!!! The American grandson finally told him that if he continues to do that, then he is going to ask to be moved!! So even in American, the S. Korean COLLEGE student is playing games!!

Fatsy Le Shaft said...

That's pretty funny. But that goes to show how culture is really ingrained in a person. For instance, if I had to choose between Burger King and kimchi, you know I'd choose the King. Haha. Maybe that's not that best example. Clearly, a lot of people love video games. But that's funny that the S. Korean roommate is sticking with his hobby like that.