Thursday, May 19, 2011

Hanbok Shopping

Apparently there's an underground-ish market for everything here. That certainly includes traditional Korean clothing. I met Jeong Mi and her family in Bupyeong. About 10 minutes walking distance from the station is a whole mess of tight alleys with hanboks and other Korean clothing and goods.

If you've been in Korea for awhile, it's exactly what you'd expect. There are bunch of older ladies sitting around, basically doing nothing until someone comes in. Then they all talk furiously at once. And keep this in mind: No matter how many times they ask for your opinion, they don't really care. I told them what I liked, and they would just tell me what they thought was more beautiful.

I told Jeong Mi's mom to just pick one that she liked for me. She appreciated that. Let's face it, my idea of a cool hanbok is probably the exact opposite of what she would like. So she can choose one that she likes. I'm sure it'll be fine.




To top off this evening, we then went to a tailor and he measured me for a brand new suit. Once again, they're very generous, and I probably don't deserve it. I have trouble accepting gifts -- especially large/expensive gifts. So while I am truly appreciative, I feel a little uncomfortable with it all. I have to work on just showing my gratitude without showing my worry for them buying something for me.

I really am thankful for how they've been and will continue to be for me. I bought dinner tonight. So that's something!

Anyway, as the wedding preparation continues, you can check out the photos here!

No comments: