Monday, May 30, 2011

Jamming Into the Summer

When the nice weather comes, we finally get to break out of our cabin fever ... and it feels good.

On Thursday, after our study group, Woo Min and his girlfriend took us to the Incheon University Festival in New Songdo City. Woo Min graduated from there last semester, and wanted to show us where he went to school. There were a ton of college kids and professors out at various tents, just drinking and eating.

It was wacky because it is something that probably couldn't happen in America. There could probably never be a festival on campus where alcohol is so openly prominent because the drinking age is 21. Whereas it's 20, Korean age (real life 19). So even most of the youngest students can drink legally. The second thing is it's really frowned upon to have students and professors mix socially like that. Maybe it was okay because it was nearing the end of the semester or something.

Either way, we had a lot of fun. I had to leave around 1 a.m. because I had to get up early for work. The rest of them left about an hour later, but finished off their night at Woo Min's bar and our favorite spot, Radio.



Onson's parents have been here all week, and we had lamb skewers with them Friday after work. They're very nice people. It was cool because it's only the second set of my friend's parents who have come over. Barry's mom was here a few months ago, but I didn't really get to meet her or anything. It was very nice to meet Onson's parents, however.

On Saturday, I took a big, unexpected step in my relationship with Jeong Mi's parents. It was the first time I'd hung out with them without Jeong Mi around. Jeong Mi's mom called me twice around 10:30 a.m. to invite me to watch a wedding and try the food at our wedding place. I tried to tell her I didn't need to see or try the food. I was pretty nervous about not having Jeong Mi there.

But I gave in and met them around 11:30 a.m. We actually saw a big, Canadian guy get married to a Korean chick. It looked to me like -- due to his size -- he was really struggling with the things like bowing, being carried in, wearing the clothes and, at one point, giving his girl a piggyback ride. But he managed to get through the day.

I am happy I got to see the ceremony. I also got a script with English so I could send it to my family. The food at the buffet was decent. It was buffet food, but it'll be all-you-can-eat and will be satisfying.

I also had a nice time with her parents. It's always fun to get to know someone without that safety net there. I needed that challenge, and I think it all went well. We mostly talked about wedding stuff, and plans for my family when they get here. But I now have a newfound confidence when speaking with them.




Last but not least, Woo Min has become a really good friend. I, personally, am thankful for him simply being a great guy. He owns our favorite bar, and we go there frequently, but he's more than just a bar owner. We've played sports with him, gone to events with him and gotten dinner together. He even made VIP cards for Popper, Pel, Onson and I. Because he's such a good guy, I've asked him to join my crew of carrying guys at the wedding. So he, Pel, Popper and Barry will all carry me in on a throne. It's a great crew to have do it and I'm excited.

So I finally threw together some of the Radio pics we've taken, and will continue adding to the list. That includes the new high score board drawn by yours truly, which includes Pel's and my high score for two separate games.



As always, it's picture time.

Wedding pics here

Incheon University Festival pics here

Radio pics here

No comments: