Sunday, June 14, 2009

Hospital Running Diary 1

*My running diary includes notes on my stay as well as things I may have forgotten to write about previously.

5/31/09

  • Vicky and her cousin Minji came to visit yesterday. We got to go outside for a little bit. There are park benches and a nice shaded area that patients can go to to escape the hospital. It was really nice to get out. (edit - Minji's boyfriend came with Minji on Sunday. Vicky's friend, Jeung Hwa also came Sunday.)
  • On Monday, a female doctor shaved my man area for my surgery. Vicky was in the room but promptly left when she realized what was going to take place. It was definitely interesting. Also of importance is that the doctor was hot and spoke English really well.
  • I had a 5 a.m. x-ray yesterday and another one today. It was interesting because no one took me to the x-ray. The nurse just told me to go to a certain room at 5 a.m., and I got to find it myself. Fortunately, she put me on the elevator and hit the floor number for me.
  • I get no sleep at night here. The beds are uncomfortable, it's hot and my roommates are two old men. One of them snores like a Mack truck and is constantly coughing up something. Plus, the nurses come in every two hours to check blood pressure and temperature. Also, because of the IV fluid, I have to pee every two hours. It's not so pleasant.
  • My roommates also get up every morning at about 6 or 6:30. They like to put the TV on at a high volume. The one guy's wife is trying to be nice and encourage me to exercise, but repeatedly tapping on my foot at 6:30 a.m. is not the right way to do that.
  • They weighed me today. I was 63.5 kilograms with my hospital outfit on. That's about 139 pounds. Now, I was definitely around 160 pounds (72 kilos) when I came to Korea. I'm sure I lost a little weight since then. But the sickness definitely contributed to my 9 absent kilos. I am lighter than the weight I wrestled senior year in high school.
  • My rubber cyborg ball still hasn't cleared up. The rubber ball is attached to my body through a hose that goes into the surgery area. It's really a hassle, but is used to indicate infection.

No comments: