Monday, June 15, 2009

Hospital Running Diary 3

6/4/09

  • I got moved yesterday to the 6-person room. It's me and five older Korean men. Their wives and families are usually with them as well. It can be a little intimidating because they all want to talk. But it's good Korean speaking practice. They don't speak any English.
  • Eli and Cindy came to visit last night. Cindy has been in three times now. Other visitors include, Jess and Elly from Songdo, Minji and Seonguk (Vicky's cousin and cousin's boyfriend), Jeung Hwa, Won Kyung, Vicky's parents, Sunny and Mr. No, all the Onyun-dong teachers (Judy, Kathy, Wendy, Cindy and Vicky), two of my middle school students from Jungchul, Chelsea and two of my college students (Jess and Smith). It's nice having so many friends here.
  • I met a Korean man who goes by Paul who lived in America for 20 years. He was a Reverend at a Korean church in Philadelphia for 15 years. He's a really fun guy to talk to. He's 72 years old.
  • I got my first week bill today and it's not so pretty. It's cheaper than America, and the insurance cuts it in half. But as I sit here, I'm adding onto it. That's not a fun thought. I can only hope I'm getting paid for the days I miss at work.
  • I'm pretty much bored out of my mind here. I'd like to just get home to recover.
  • Eli said work has gone well. While everyone has picked up an extra class, Eli's gotten the lion's share of the work. But to make it a bit easier, they combined a lot of classes. So he's done a bit less teaching and a bit more game playing. He said he's fine with that.
  • I feel bad that the teachers have an extra class or two, but I'd rather be there with them than in the hospital.
  • Sunny made me a lunch box with chicken nuggets, rice balls, fruit and little bean-filled treats. Besides the bean-filled guys, it's pretty good.
  • NEWS! The doctor just cleaned my ball hole out with some solution. He said it's clean and the ball will be removed today. He also said I'd go home tomorrow! The cleaning out was very weird. He shot some solution into the tube and sucked it back out. It didn't hurt but it wasn't a pleasant feeling. (edit -- Obviously i didn't go home the next day. "One more day" becomes the theme quote of my stay at the hospital.)

No comments: