Monday, August 10, 2009

More English Teacher Harassment???

Here's a story in The Korea Times about a foreign English teacher returning from a trip to Malaysia, only to be accused of drug usage while on his trip. The teacher, Alexander Washko, seems to have had a pretty rough go with Korean customs officials.

Washko says he was pulled out of line on his way back into Korea to be checked by Korean officers. He was then told his passport had MDMA drug residue on it.

According to Washko:

Then they framed me: They wanted to test my hands for ``drugs." After two tests that came back ``negative," they told me to hold my passport before the third test, to which I naturally refused as that would leave ``residue" on my hands. After trying to force the passport into my hands, they simply swabbed the passport, my watch, then my fingers and walked out, while I was screaming to my roommate, ``They are framing me! Look! Help!"

The story goes on to list some other humiliations Washko faced from the officials.

At this point, we only have Washko's side of the story. I'd like to see some comments from some government officials. As of now, this story was only a non-objective column from the victim.

I suspect it's not uncommon for foreigners to be pulled out of the customs line and searched. I have no idea how far the officials usually push the line. This type of stuff happens all over the world.

It's just especially disappointing here because, from the story's point of view, this further demonstrates the stereotypes that English teachers face as foreigners in a "single blood" country.

Let me re-iterate. This is one side of the story. Washko says he will take legal action. Let's hope some more of this story comes out. I'm curious to see what may come of this. Although, I assume not much will happen even if there is some kind of investigation.

Check out the full story here.

No comments: