Monday, March 1, 2010

College Students Hurt By Heavy Rent

This isn't really big news anywhere, but it's an interesting comparison between Pittsburgh and Seoul. Apparently, students in Seoul are really burdened by heavy rent payments.

From the story:

'Another house owner in the neighborhood of Korea University in Anam-dong, eastern Seoul, charges 260,000 won per month for a small room with a deposit of 300,000 won.'

That is from $225 to $260 per month. That seems pretty reasonable. I paid anywhere from $250 to $325 per month when I was in college. I was living with roommates, too.

However, we have to remember that students working part-time jobs make significantly less money than we do back in the USA. I had a plush job making $10/hour as a paralegal my senior year of college. A student with a part-time job here would most likely be working in a restaurant or convenience store at about 4,000 won ($3.47) per hour. So I can see how this is a bit of a struggle.

No comments: