Monday, December 7, 2009

Han River Cruise

I had a pretty laid back weekend, but included one new, fun event to add to my list of things done in South Korea.

On Friday, I met with Hye Yun for some dinner and a couple drinks. She left on Sunday with her mom to visit Turkey for 9 days. Thanks, Korean Dad!

Then, later on Friday night, Popper and I just played some darts and had a few drinks.

On Saturday evening, I went into Seoul to meet with Soo Ryung. We met at Youido and went to a restaurant called Tony Roma's. It was a little pricey, but it's a great place to go if you're looking to fill a craving for great western-style food. I got a nice, juicy burger, and Soo Ryung for some ribs and friend shrimp. I noticed they even have fish and chips there.

Like I said, if you don't mind dropping a few thousand won more for your meal, it's a real craving buster.

After dinner, we headed down to the Han River and took a night cruise. It was only 16,000 won for a 90 minute ride up and down the river. It would've been cool to go during the day, because my pictures would've turned out better. But I definitely prefer the night trip. So I have a few blurry pics, but I have very clear memories.


Soo Ryung and I posing at the rear of the boat


The city was lit up brilliantly, and the moon was very low and just looked gigantic and bright. It was freezing cold weather, but the boat had an inside cabin as well as an outer deck on which you could hang.

We split our time between inside and outside. They had a guitar player for a portion of the ride, but we wanted to see the outside as much as possible. Standing at the front of the boat, we realized just how miserable cold it was.

But it was great to spend a special night with her. She's heading to California in less than a month to study at a university for a year. This may have been the last time I'll see her in person for quite some time.

It's a bummer to make a good friend in a new country, only to have her leave, but I'm really excited for her to get her chance at living abroad.

Like I said, the pics didn't turn out that clearly because of a certain lack of light, but you can check the best ones out here.

This week at school has been hectic so far, and it's only Monday. It's a new term so we're trying to sort out exactly how to teach the kids with our new storybook materials. I ran more level tests today, and we'll see how that all shakes down.

By Wednesday, we should be back in the full swing of teaching.

The good news I got today is that I won a prize for best singer from our Hambak party a couple weeks ago. It turns out they really enjoyed my "Johnny B. Goode" and "Rainism". They gave out a variety of prizes from the night in front of a large group of teachers today. I was happy to receive my 20,000 won prize. It was certainly very exciting and felt nice to be included with the other teachers for something like this.

Now if we can only find some actual information regarding our winter camp and possible vacation schedule. Then, all would be well.^^

No comments: