Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Salsa Dance!!!

I wanted to try something new, and thanks to Skype, I’m doing it.

On Monday, a Korean girl wrote to me and we started chatting. The conversation was going well and we were basically just getting to know each other. My new friend, Kyeol Park, then told me she wanted to take a salsa class. I told her it sounds fun. So she invited me to take one with her.

Even though we had just started chatting and never met face to face, I didn’t see any reason not to do it (besides being lured into a dark alley by a complete stranger and stabbed, or something).

Less than 24 hours later, we were at Bamboo Dance Academy, about a 15 minute subway ride from my house, and starting our first lesson.

It was a lot of fun. We just learned really basic steps, but I can tell I’m going to enjoy it. There were about 20 people there, and they mentioned that they don’t get foreigners, so I’m the only American.

The classes are Tuesday and Thursday from 10 to 11 p.m. That’s a little late, but I figured I could handle it to try something new. The first month is 40,000, and a normal month is 80,000 won. They also have practice times on Wednesday and Saturday for a few thousand won more, so we can meet up with the group, bond and work on our steps.

Kyeol is really nice, beautiful and a lot of fun to be around. We clicked right away. I think our personalities are pretty similar. Do I have a crush on her already? Of course.

I’m really looking forward to seeing where this class goes. It’s going to be a great time. I didn’t take pictures yet, but check back soon to see the studio and some dancers. Until then, check out the Bamboo Academy website.

No comments: