Thursday, December 10, 2009

Promoting English Newspapers

Here's a story that is interesting to me on a personal level.

A bill was proposed to the National Assembly Wednesday to allocate more money toward promoting English daily newspapers.

From the story:

'"Local English newspapers play an important and critical role beyond helping Koreans improve English skills," the two-term legislator said.

"It's a window to Korea and an excellent means of introducing the country to the world in the global language."'


The story also talks about fair reporting and truth. As of now, truth and fair reporting are hard to come by in English dailies. They give us a glimpse into current events, but rarely give both sides of a story or attribute their sources.

I would love to be a reporter again. Being a reporter back in Pittsburgh was a really fantastic job and I really enjoyed going to work every day. It's a bit different from my feeling about my job here.

Maybe a little more money going toward the dailies, and I could find myself back in my old career, but this time in South Korea. I can dream.

No comments: