Thursday, February 18, 2010

All Is Very Well

After my little vent session a week or so ago, things started to turn around and everything is going incredibly well right now. I'm currently on vacation, which is just extraordinary. I was really starting to get stress and this was totally necessary. Not going on a trip does not bother me at all, because I have a bunch of other things to keep me occupied.

The first is, of course, dance. We had a couple days off for the new year, but thanks to vacation, I've been able to focus a bit more on it this week, rather than worrying about getting home so late and not getting enough sleep. That lack of sleep would cause me to have a bad practice every couple of weeks and totally draw blanks on the routine. But as of now, I'm feeling pretty good about the patterns.

 

All the good stuff during my break has involved dance and my dance friends, actually. On Friday, after class, a group of about 10 of us went out for some dinner and drinks. It was really great to hang with them outside of class. I got to practice my Korean a lot, which has improved dramatically over the past couple of weeks, as my comfort level increases.

As the group dwindled Friday, four of us ended up staying together and out even later to continue the fun. I started to really get to know them well, including Jeong Mi Park, who will now have a more steady role in my life.

On Saturday, I got to just hang out and relax. We had no dance because of the new year. I was originally invited to Jeong Mi's house for the celebration, but her family had some things to deal with, and I had to accept a rain check.

On Sunday, I met with Jeong Mi and my dance buddy Eun Sang, who happens to be the only dance student who speaks English well, or really at all. The three of us went to 'The Lightning Thief" and had lunch together. 

Then, we all met up with 6 more training/performance team members and went to a salsa club in Seoul. It was a lot of fun. I danced with all my girls a couple of times, but then they encourages the guys to dance with random chicks, and I pretty much froze. Everyone there was so good, and it's hard to get out there for that. But I got to see a lot of new moves and talented dancers and had a wonderful time.

After that, the group of us went back to Bupyeong and got dinner and drinks. We really had a fun time. And I let everyone know that I really liked Jeong Mi. Apparently, they all had a sense that the two of us were already a couple.

Monday was a total recovery day after getting home at about 6 a.m. in the morning.

But on Tuesday, Jeong Mi came to my house and I made her lunch. It was Kraft Mac 'n Cheese and chicken breast with peppers. Haha. That may not sound fancy to you, but it's been a long time since I enjoyed some Mac 'n Cheese.

That day is important because after that, we talked and decided we really enjoyed each others' company and became a couple, officially.

Now, this is huge for many reasons. The biggest is that she does NOT speak English. When I dated Vicky, I was studying Korean, but we based our communication on English. This is totally opposite. We have to base our communication on Korean because there's no other option. Haha.

What's nice is this girl and I seem to have a really good connection as far as communication goes. My Korean is now good enough that most people get what I'm trying to say, but Jeong Mi truly understands me for whatever reason. And she's able to explain her thoughts to me in a way that I always understand. It's a really nice connection.

It means that my Korean studying is currently proving itself invaluable, while also improving every day. It's a really cool feeling to meet someone you connect with so well, even though I'm speaking my third language with her.

Everyone at dance is really excited for us. We're all a tight-knit group, and it's so much fun to be a part of it.

So that's the big news as of now. I'm taking things day by day, but since that venting post, everything has been coming up roses for Aaron. Happy and healthy. That's a good start to a new year.

No comments: