Thursday, February 11, 2010

Lunar New Year and Valentine's Day Sharing the Stage

This year, 설날 (Lunar New Year) and Valentine's Day both fall on the same day. I hate to say it, but I don't really remember what I did last Lunar New Year. I don't think I was with Vicky's family.

The reason I say that is because the Lunar New Year is one of the two big family gathering holidays here in Korea. The family's usually go to the home of the eldest brother of a family. Of course, it's just as common to go to the grandparents' house as well. Either way, they gather, do 세배 (a formal bow of respect to the elders), receive a little pocket money for that bow and then eat dinner with the family.

At the Bamboo Lunar New Year party, they had a pig's head set up on a table with 10,000 won bills stuffed in its face. The one girl who I currently love showed me how to do the bow. It's actually the first time in Korea I did an official 세배.

Valentine's Da y here is a bit different than back home. I'm sure I wrote about it last year, but I'm not sure where or when. Anyway, in Korea on Valentine's Day it's tradition for the girls to give gifts to the guys. Next month, on March 14, the guys give gifts to the girls.

I didn't expect anything this year, considering I'm single, but the kindness of my Bamboo friends came through again. Four of those beautiful girls brought in chocolates for the guys. Two of the girls gave homemade chocolate. Now I know to prepare for next month.

The row with my latest reprimand is blowing over. Thank goodness for that. Ridia and I vented together at the Hambak Welcome/Farewell teacher party. The food was good, and I rocked the singing room as usual. I brought in two 100s and four 99s. not too shabby, on a scoring system that doesn't actually mean a thing. Haha.

I'm going out drinking after dance tonight with some of my classmates. I'm so excited because the chick I currently love is coming. She speaks no English. I think I like her more because of that.

Fafa, one of the owners of Bamboo, invited me to his home on Saturday to celebrate the Lunar New Year. He mentioned it earlier in the week, but hasn't brought it up since then. It would certainly be fun to join him. It was a really nice gesture on his part.

I don't know I mentioned this already, but my first performance will be the last Saturday of this month. I'm super excited.

So even though the school thing sucked this week, all is continuing to go pretty well this year. Happy Valentine's Day and Lunar New Year to everyone!!!

No comments: