Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Final Jungchul Meeting






I sat down with Sunny after work on Friday and we discussed my finances. Everything went as well as I could have expected. That means I muted my expectations and got about what I thought.

Instead of 2.1 million won for my severance, they only gave me 2 million. Yes my contract says 2.1 million. Sunny said that the severance is supposed to be equal to what I get paid in a month. She said that's between 1.8 and 1.9 million. Well, yes, I do get that after all my bills come out.

But don't worry, Mr. No and Sunny agreed to just pay me 2 million, instead of the 1.8 million. I had my contract and everything, but I was in no mood to argue. I just wanted it to finish.

They paid me the money they owed me from my last paycheck, the money for August and gave me my pay receipts. Everything is finished.

The money is supposed to be in my account Monday morning.

After the meeting, Mr. No wanted to go out. So he and I went, and Sunny joined us about an hour later. We just drank some Soju and ate some meat. It was a pretty good time. As I've said before, outside of the school and when business matters aren't involved, they're pretty good people. They're just no fun to deal with from a work perspective.

We had a nice conversation, and Mr. No said I was the best teacher he's ever had. That was a nice compliment from him, especially considering how bad of a mood I've been in for the last month or so, and how much I got on them about dealing with financial stuff on time.

My last day was pretty laid-back. I wrote letters to all the teachers and to the students. I wrote them in Korean and Vicky typed them up for me. I tried to type them, but it was taking forever. Haha.

Anyway, I gave them all my email address and phone number and thanked them for a fun and interesting year. Some of the kids wrote me little notes, and a few cried a bit. Eli basically taught my classes, and I observed the first couple. It wasn't necessary, but we were just kind of working together. I thought it was pretty fun.

I bought snacks for a couple classes and pizza for a couple others. I also got pictures with a bunch of the students, especially with my favorite classes.

I won't miss the company, but I'll certainly miss the students and teachers. Even when I was frustrated, they were all pretty great.

Check out the pics of all my students, including my university students, here.
I got a bunch of great pictures with everyone.

No comments: