Sunday, September 6, 2009

Incheon Global Fair and Festival







I finally made it over to the Incheon Global Fair in Festival. It's only 5 minutes away, but I was busy over the last month preparing to finish my job.

My friend, Soo Ryung, got two free tickets to get us in. My university student, Cassie, works for the company who is running the festival. She gave me free meal tickets.

So we headed over there at about 1 p.m. on Saturday. We were able to see pretty much everything the festival has to offer in about 5 hours.

Our first attraction was the world teddy bear pavilion. It had teddy bears as part of cultures all over the world. There was a Mt. Rushmore with all the president's faces as teddy bears, sumo teddy bears and viking teddy bears. It was huge and probably the most fun thing in the festival. They got really creative with some of the countries. They also spelled "Big Ben" as "Big Ban." Yes, I took a picture and found it hilarious.

After that, we checked out the ancient city hall. It had artifacts from ancient civilizations like China, Maya, Inca and Egypt.

We then went to the technology building. They had a ton of art/technology displays and it was pretty cool. One in particular was great. It was a screen where the guy would take a 3-second video of you, and pop you up on the screen with about 30 other blocks of people. All the Koreans just waved. You know what I did? The robot! Boom. That's how a man does art.

They had a lot of fun things in the technology area, and I got some great pictures of it.

We checked out the greener earth pavilion, which was incredibly boring.

We walked through the European Culture exhibit. They had a bunch of cool antique furniture, TVs, cameras, musical instruments and things like that. It was weird, because not all of it was related to Europe in some way. But oh well. It was cool.

Next, we got some refreshment at the world beer pavilion. I bought an MGD for 5,000. It was the only American beer they had. They were also giving out free Hite and Max. It's not that great, but free beer always tastes good.

Next door to the beer pavilion was a small wine shop. The owner is a French guy. We got a glass of wine for 5,000 won. It was pretty good.

One interesting thing is that I was walking by a Native American exhibit when a woman started talking to me. It just so happens she's from Los Angeles and at the fair to represent Native Americans. She was very friendly and we had a nice conversation.

The last thing we saw was the robot exhibit. It didn't have that much stuff, but it did have a robot zoo. I got some great pics of the animals, including a robot rhino.

The fair was pretty fun, and certainly worth checking out for free. Free tickets for events are always floating around in Korea. Soo Ryung and I had a nice time.

After that, we went back to Guworldong and got some dinner. She got on the bus for home around 8 p.m., after we made some sticker photos together.

I then walked back over to the square to meet Cindy, Wendy, Beth and Vicky. It was Vicky's birthday yesterday and all the teachers wanted to see me one last time.

Beth was the only one on time. we were supposed to meet at 8:30 p.m. Wendy got there around 9 p.m. Cindy had just finished work, I think, and came at 10 p.m. Vicky came a little before that. Oh Koreans. Please just be punctual one time. It's not too much to ask.

We went to a singing room and got some food and drinks. We were out until probably 3 a.m. It was a good time, for the most part. I'm glad I got to see those teachers again. They're cool.

So it was a pretty busy, yet fun, weekend. Now I have four days to do nothing. I admit I'm looking forward to the time off. I wish it was back in America. I should've been getting on a flight Saturday. It was still nice to see my friends, though.

Check out the festival pics here.

No comments: