Monday, September 14, 2009

Job Offer Accepted!

I got good news in the form of an email from my recruiter. First, the background story.

I was concerned about where I would end up next time around, because my recruiter informed me that the government was suspending bringing in new teachers until the new year because of the H1N1 flu that is spreading around. It seems to be Korea's idea to combat the spread is to isolate everyone and everything. In the last month, a bunch of high-profile provincial festivals and events have been canceled.

The good news email came last night, with a job offer from the principal of Hambak Elementary School in Yeonsu-dong. The latest I can arrive is Oct. 19. My assumption is that is the day they want me to start teaching. That means I'll most likely be leaving America on Oct. 16 or 17 in order to get back in time (remember, they're 13 hours ahead).

There are a lot of good things about this new move. The money is the same, but the hours are better. It's a standard work day, rather than afternoon and evening hours. There's more vacation time, more sick days and even days listed for "special leave."

Also, Yeonsu-dong is where all my friends live. That's not something to be overlooked. This past year, I found myself forced to take cabs home because the bus to this neighborhood stopped by about 10:30 p.m. If I got out at 9 p.m. and got on a bus to ride right over there for dinner, we still wouldn't be sitting down to eat until 9:30 p.m. at the earliest. We'd have to rush through dinner if I wanted to catch the bus home. So most times, instead of riding a bus home for 900 won, I had to pay 4,500 won for a cab. Just a hassle.

Now, I'll be on a different schedule from my friends since they're all still at academies. But being in the same areas makes splitting cabs and hanging out easier. It should be easier to relieve some stress.

Also, don't forget that this is my second time around. Much of the first half of my first year was simply adjusting to the culture, job and anything else. even the process of getting their was frustrating at times, not knowing exactly what to do.

This time, I'm practically all set with my documents already. I mailed away my American criminal background check to the Apostille today. I'll get my transcripts and second recommendation letter tomorrow. By early next week, I will most likely have my visa number. That means my plane ticket can be schedule soon, as well. Last time, everything really happened last minute and it was a real whirlwind. I don't even have to go to New York City for an interview this time.

All in all, this elementary school job is looking like a great opportunity. It's a little less time than I expected to be home, but that's okay. I'll have enough time to see family and friends, eat some wonderful American food and then head back to start my new year.

It seems like a quick turn-around, but things are looking.

Here is the website for the school.
It's all in Korean.

No comments: